Monday, March 16, 2009

Welcome to Wha?

I created this blog to keep track of my research into building a HTPC for my home theater. I'm starting with a few requirements, and I'll be putting links and info here to keep track of my research.

This list of requirements will be updated over time as more information is found. I've also got a project underway called F*ck R*gers, which will add requirements to the HTPC as well.

Requirements
  1. Must be able to play all or almost all video formats found on the internet, including standalone files and flash video.
  2. Must be able to feed my TV at 1080p when appropriate
  3. Must be able to feed my amp with Dolby 5.1 when appropriate, through either a coax or TOSlink cable
  4. Must be able to be fully controllable through my Harmony 890
  5. Must look high quality and fit into a standard rack (up to 4U max, 3U if I can fit all the components in 3U). Rack ears are a bonus, but not required.
  6. Must have case with good cooling plan
  7. Must have way to view important temperature readouts
  8. Must be almost silent. PUT A DBA goal here
  9. Must be upgradable in the future - second harddrive, different mobo and CPU, different video in/out cards
  10. Must fit into my F*ck R*gers plan (put link to other blog here). Additional requirements from that plan will be copied here (such as PVR capabilities, OTA tuner, perhaps some auto-bittorrent functions).

Nice to have
  1. Ability to browse the internet through a handy mechanism (mouse/keyboard? Something lap-based?)
  2. A low-power mode for when it's idling, such as a standby or hibernate mechanism. HOW DOES THIS FIT INTO THE F*ck R*gers plan? Does it need to be always on?
  3. Based on Linux or other open source. MythTv looks promising.
Features I don't care about, yet
  1. No need to play games
  2. No need to capture output from existing PVR
  3. No need to play Blu-ray or DVD through PC (can use PS3 for that)
  4. No need for a case display, such as an LCD or touchscreen. Possible exception - temperature readouts, but I'd prefer those to be on the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment