Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Software

Two obvious options:

Windows Media Center
MythTV

I make a living off of Microsoft products, but man do they suck sometimes. I suspect MCE is pretty good, and all of the hardware would be far better supported under Windows. But still, it kinda offends me to use it. Also, will there be licensing issues when playing suspicious media? Standby and hibernate will probably work better in Windows, compared to Linux.

My Linux mosheen has been pretty solid since I installed Ubuntu. I have had some sound problems recently, and those kinda scare me. Linux sound is pretty kludgey, but I think I could keep it under control.

I think if I objectively compare MCE and MythTV, I'll end up with MCE. Subjectively, I like the idea of FOSS and don't mind some tinkering. I have some thinking to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment